Sunday, January 3, 2010

Slackerrrrrrrrrr

So I've slacked off pretty hard on this blog, no surprise that this slacking off coincides with an end of the year downswing that was flat out brutal. Oh well, what can you do... nothing really except bounce back in 2010. My 2009 overall was pretty good. I made a good amount of money and feel like I really progressed as a player. I went from a pretty weak 2/4 grinder maybe making 3-4bb/100 to having an ~8bb/100 winrate at 2/4 in over 200k hands this year. My 2009 went a little something like this....

start off with best month ever...
play bad for a few months with mediocre results...
get some coaching....
play a little bit better...
slack off as far as getting better is concerned...
mediocre results...
back on the getting better horse....
good results....
oh maybe finish the year off with a sick heater....
NOTTTT big downer in the last week... :(

2010 is going to be different. I'm going to work harder than I ever have before and will not be slacking off like I did during a couple months last year. I'm really going to spend a lot more time this year reviewing my own play, with the help of this blog and think that it is an integral step to improving as a player. No more constantly making the same mistakes session after session, or failing to pick up on certain tendencies(that either I have or that my opponents have that are leaks). No more auto-pilot, sure I will be playing 6-8 tables for the most part, but I'm going to try to cut out a lot of distractions during my grinding and really focus on making the best possible decision every chance that I get.

If you didn't see the boywonder thread in BBV on 2+2 then I would recommend you take a look. He recently signed with Leggo and produced a video for them, and I must say that it was probably the video I was looking forward to watching the most in the past few months.

His results are outstanding and he attributes a lot of it, not to his actual poker skill, but more the way he approaches the game and applies his skills. I totally agree with him, that a lot of poker is mental. Confidence plays a huge role in just about everything you do and poker is no different. I know when I have been winning for a while, and my confidence is sky high, I feel unstoppable and definitely play my best poker during these stretches.

Something else that he advocates, is reviewing hands from previous sessions before you start playing for the day, and this is something I've sort of always wanted to do but kind of slacked off on doing. Not anymore, I'm going to really get on a better schedule in 2010 and apply myself much better. This year I'm going to start every poker day by reviewing the biggest pots I played from my last session(Ive been doing this recently for this blog so that has definitely helped me) It will get me into the right mindset to play, get me thinking about ranges and what not properly, as well as help me realize the mistakes I made the day before and to try to steer clear of those in the upcoming session.

I'm really looking forward to 2010. I got a lot happening, so it will be a busy year but an exciting one at that. I'm getting married in March. Honeymoon after that in St. Lucia. Then hopefully a run at the World Series of Golf sometime in May(not sure of the exact dates). All of this while I really devote myself to getting much much better at poker.

My goals for 2010 are as follows (poker and life related)
- Be one of the biggest winners at 5/10 on FTP and become a good 10/20 regular.
- Get some HU coaching and become a regular at up to 10/20 HU.
- Maximize my poker time
-By this I mean always make sure I have 6-8 tables up. Sometimes I will slack off and just play the 3 or so 5/10 tables that are running. Not anymore. If there aren't at least 6 5/10 games running then I will fill the void with 3/6 tables. And if there aren't enough of those running then I will use some 2/4 games to fill in until some higher games run. I'm throwing away potential money by only sitting at the 5/10 games running and not maximizing the tables I could be playing.
-Put in more hours, strive for at least 25hrs/week of actual play time. Also waste less time mindlessly surfing on 2+2.
-Withdraw money on a more regular basis and start saving more money.
-Work hard on my golf game as well. Start getting at least 1 lesson per week starting soon. Lower handicap to at least a +3. Go deep in the World Series of Golf. Advance past local qualifying for the US Open.
-Put on 15-20 lbs of muscle
-Read at least 1 book per month, and learn as much as I can about trading.

Well that's all I got for now. Damn this is kind of a long post. Hope you guys enjoyed it, and good luck to everyone in 2010.

4 comments:

  1. Who coached you and what was the experience like?

    Hope you'll have a great year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started off 09 getting coaching from Chaostracize from deuces cracked(not sure if he still coaches or not) but that was an eye opening experience for sure. Then I got some coaching from both Moonshine( l scubba l on FTP ) and iRockhoes both of whom were also great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog man, keep it up pls... you don't have to excuse yourself evertime you haven't updated in a few days tho :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Nick, always appreciate comments.

    ReplyDelete