Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My golf swing, a work in progress

Alright, as promised in one of my recent posts, I'm going to go over what I've been working on golf wise to start off this year. I have some fairly ambitious golf goals for the year, and I'm really trying to work very hard to accomplish them. I do however need the weather in Atlanta to start cooperating a bit more so that I can actually get outside and put in some serious practice sessions.

Here is a short video of the software that we use to analyze my golf swing. This is just me showing you my swing from the front and behind view, as well as showing you how we can move and zoom all over the room to see my swing from every angle imaginable. (Sorry the video is a little choppy, i guess camtasia isn't able to capture my movements quickly enough. You get the drift of the software anyway)



Anyway, the things that I'm working on right now are stabilizing my lower body throughout the entire swing so that I have a much better foundation. As you will see later my swing from last June has much more movement in the lower body, which really makes my upper body work way too hard to get the club into the right position to hit good, solid golf shots. By stabilizing my lower body I'm able to make a much more complete turn to the top of the backswing, and my body stays centered over my legs as opposed to getting too far on my backside.

June Swing
Current Swing

Having a stable lower body enables me to start my downswing a little more efficiently. When my weight sways to my backside too much, my hips tend to slide to start the downswing and try to get back into proper position. This results in me laying off the club far too much and keeping my weight too far on my right side throughout the remainder of the swing. As you can see in the pictures above, nowadays I have a much better shoulder turn on my backswing, and its somewhat tough to see but in the swing on the left you can sort of see my weight starting to creep to the outside of my back foot. That is a big no no for me and really causes me problems as I start my downswing.

June Swing

Current Swing

So as you can see, the difference between these two positions is fairly drastic. In my old swing my hips are sliding forward, and my leading hip is quickly getting out ahead of my front foot. In my current swing my weight is again much more centered over my more stable lower body, and my hips are doing a better job of rotating which in turn gives me more clubhead speed. I think the difference between these 2 swings is about 5 MPH which is a fairly huge difference.


June Swing

Current Swing

Here is where you will see another pretty big difference. Nowadays I'm much more "stacked up" on top of the ball, using a lot more leverage than I was last June. In the June swing again you see that front hip much more forward than we would like, and I'm not posting up on my front leg as much as I should be. My upper body is also hanging back to far which leads to losing a lot of leverage, more simply put as power or club head speed. The current swing is just so much better and will enable me to hit consistently better, longer golf shots.

June Swing

Current Swing

These two images just reiterate how much better my lower body is working and staying stable in my current swing as opposed to last summer. The lead leg is going a much better job of posting up, and my head is not nearly as far behind the ball as it used to be.

June Swing

Current Swing

The only other thing we are working on is my club position here, which is midway through my downswing. I had tendinitis in my left wrist in high school, and ever since then I've had a lot of trouble trying to get the club in a really good position coming down. Ideally you would like the shaft of the club to lie in between your forearms from this angle, but we are really just trying to get it to go over my right forearm because that is manageable. As you can see the club is in a much better position in my current swing as opposed to my old swing, and even though were only talking about a few inches of difference, that is quite a bit when you are talking about the golf swing.

Overall I'm very happy with the progress that I've made. I think working out a lot during the winter months is really going to help me play some better golf this year. I can't wait till the weather turns around and I can get out and play some. If you have any questions, or want any golf tips/advice don't hesitate to leave a message, I love talking golf.

As for poker updates, I played about 3 hours this morning and made like $1200. Not too bad, might play a little bit later tonight but right now I'm headed to the hospital to check on Kim's grandfather. Talk to you guys later.

No comments:

Post a Comment