Thursday, February 25, 2010

Update

Hey, whats up everyone. Been grinding quite a bit recently, really trying to put in a solid amount of hours this month at 2/4. The last few days I have put in a TON of hands, and I have been running pretty horribly in a lot of cooler type situations and all in EV which doesn't help the results too much. I've been playing pretty well though in my opinion, especially when things start to go bad I've really kept my composure and made sure I think through ever decision thoroughly. Ive put in about 17k hands since Monday, at a pretty weak 4.2bb/100 but I'm running a little below expectation and I feel like I've been on the wrong end of a lot of coolers.

So far for the month I'm pretty happy with my volume. The first week I put in 18.5 hours running OK. The 2nd week I ran pretty good but only put in 17 hours. I seem to play shorter sessions when I'm winning big, should probably change that although it feels so good to book a nice solid win, I hate ruining them! The 3rd week I put in 19.5 hours and again ran pretty well. So far this week I've already put in 23 hours running pretty terribly. I'm going to try and put in a few hours tomorrow to get over 80 hours for the month which is pretty solid for a short month, and considering I hardly ever play on weekends. Hopefully I can win a little bit tomorrow and boost my winrate back over 6bb/100 since I've fallen to 5.94bb/100 over 57k hands for the month thus far.

One thing I really think I need to work on is taking a few more breaks during long sessions. From now on I'm going to try and limit myself to playing in 2 hour stretches, and then make a point to take a 30 minute break to read a book, watch TV, or play a video game. This should help me clear my mind a bit, and refocus for another good solid session. For example today I was playing a pretty long session, running pretty bad and really getting nowhere, just sort of swinging from up 2 buy ins to down 2 buy ins. Then I took a little break for lunch, came back and definitely felt a little more refreshed and was able to win the few buy ins that I lost towards the end of my first session back.

As for some actual poker talk, one thing I'd like to talk about briefly is pf 3 bet sizing. I constantly see people at 2/4 squeezing pf to literally anywhere from $60-$90 on a pretty regular basis. Like for example MP opens to 14, the BTN flats 14, and then the BB squeezes. I see people just mash the pot button in this scenario. In this hypothetical situation that would be a 3bet to like $60ish... I think, or imagine the SB had also flatted and now a pot sized 3 bet is like $72. I mean that is just overkill so often.

Once you go over a certain number, probably somewhere in the neighborhood of $48-$52, people are no longer going to be flatting your 3 bet at all. They are going to be in 4 bet or fold mode for the most part, unless of course you are 3 betting a huge fish in which case BOMBS AWAY b/c there is no need for balance. So if people are playing 4 bet or fold once you get over $48-$52, then that should really be the highest you ever 3 bet.. You are actually costing yourself money when you want to squeeze in that spot with air, wouldn't you rather be able to 3 bet bluff to $48 rather than having to risk $60 each time?

Not to mention the fact that if you make it $60 or more preflop, you basically take away the ability for your opponents to 4 bet you small as a bluff. There are definitely hands that you squeeze with where a lot of its value comes from the fact that it looks like you are squeezing in an obvious spot, your opponent realizes this and then makes a small 4 bet. Hands like 99/AQ come to mind as hands where this is fairly important in a lot of scenarios. However if you make it so large that they are unable to 4bet/fold preflop you cut out a large percentage of their bluffing range which results in you getting it in worse because they aren't 4 bet/shoving as a bluff nearly as lightly as people are 4bet/folding as a bluff.

Anyway, just something to think about. Talk to you guys later.


No comments:

Post a Comment