Friday, December 4, 2009

Grrrrrrrrrr

Well I didn't end up playing any more poker yesterday so I ended the day down like $700. After my softball games I came home and ended up giving a lesson to a new student that I think went pretty well.

Today I played, but I didn't play very well and I made some pretty big blunders. Oh well, kind of how the game goes but this is much more frustrating than getting unlucky in big pots because I only have myself to blame for my bad play. I played around 2 hours today and lost right around $4k. Ill go over my biggest mistakes.

No-Limit Hold'em, $10.00 BB (5 handed) - Hold'em ManagerConverter Tool fromFlopTurnRiver.com

BB ($977)
UTG ($3263)
MP ($1030)
Button ($2180)
Hero (SB) ($2446)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6, A
UTG bets $30, 1 fold, Button calls $30, Hero calls $25, BB calls $20

Flop: ($120) 8, 5, 5 (4 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG bets $80, Button calls $80, Hero raises $330, 1 fold, UTG calls $250, 1 fold

Turn: ($860) Q (2 players)
Hero bets $670, UTG calls $670

River: ($2200) 7 (2 players)
Hero bets $1416 (All-In), UTG calls $1416

Total pot: $5032

Results:
Hero had 6, A (one pair, fives).
UTG had 5, 3 (three of a kind, fives).
Outcome: UTG won $5029

Alright so this hand, I'm still not sure whether this is +ev or not but I don't think it can be very bad. I c/r the flop after the pfr cbets and gets a caller. I think I can squeeze these 2 players out of the pot a decent amount and I have the nut flush draw in case I get called. So only the PFR calls. Turn comes a Q and I decide to barrel maybe get him off like 99-JJ possibly even a stronger pair than that. Anyways he calls and the river is an offsuit 7. I decide to shove to get him to fold AA/KK, Qxss. I wasn't too worried about him having 5x because I'm not really sure how many 5s he has in his UTG range and I can rep a 5 pretty well.

Sadly I get called by 53 pretty quickly and lose the big pot.

About 3 hands later on the same table I play this hand.

No-Limit Hold'em, $10.00 BB (5 handed) - Hold'em ManagerConverter Tool fromFlopTurnRiver.com

BB ($942)
UTG ($5831)
MP ($1030)
Button ($2070)
Hero (SB) ($2020)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K, K
2 folds, Button bets $35, Hero raises $120, 1 fold, Button calls $90

Flop: ($260) Q, 7, A (2 players)
Hero checks, Button checks

Turn: ($260) K (2 players)
Hero bets $160, Button raises $555, Hero raises $1735 (All-In), Button calls $1340

River: ($4050) 8 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $4050

Results:
Button had J, 10 (straight, Ace high).
Hero had K, K (three of a kind, Kings).
Outcome: Button won $4047

And I think I make a pretty big mistake here on the turn. When the flop checks through here, I turn the K, and get raised I'm not really sure if this player can be doing it with worse for value. I think I just got caught up in the fact that the player was pretty fishy, but right after the hand I was pretty upset at myself with shoving the turn. In hindsight I'm just not sure this player is checking the flop with AQ(we can discount AK and KQ because I have 2 of the Kings) and then raising the turn with it.

So essentially on the turn I think I have a bluff catcher, and the correct play would be to call the turn and then pick off a random bluff on the river. Unfortunately I wasn't in the best state of mind after bluffing off my stack a few hands before and I made an incorrect play/pretty big mistake. Obviously villain had the nuts and I was drawing pretty thin in a big pot.

So those were my 2 pretty big mistakes today, the 2nd one is still irritating me even a few hours later as I'm sitting here typing this. GRRRRRR. Anyway, prob won't be playing too much poker this weekend. Going to register for wedding gifts tomorrow but maybe I will get some in on Sunday. See you guys later.


1 comment: