Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Standard start to every month

For some reason I am always down money at one point every month. I can't recall a month except for maybe January where I just took off from 0 and my monthly graph never dipped into the red. Today I started off on a good note in the late morning games on FTP. At my peak I was up around 4K until I lost a few hands and then ran AK into KK for $2200. I then quit to run some errands before I had a coaching session with a student in the afternoon.

So I finished the first session up like $1.6k and loaded up some tables so my student could sweat me for an hour or so. We ran pretty bad, basically making 0 hands and taking a few coolers. I ended the day down a little over $2k which isn't really bad at all for 5/10, just a bit frustrating after being up $4k. There were some interesting hands so I will go over them.

Here is a hand I think I messed up a little bit on.

No-Limit Hold'em, $10.00 BB (5 handed) - Hold'em ManagerConverter Tool fromFlopTurnRiver.com

BB ($1248)
UTG ($1870)
MP ($2000)
Button ($3390)
Hero (SB) ($4035)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K, K
UTG bets $30, 2 folds, Hero raises $110, 1 fold, UTG calls $85

Flop: ($240) J, 3, 9 (2 players)
Hero bets $150, UTG raises $380, Hero calls $230

Turn: ($1000) 8 (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets $475, Hero calls $475

River: ($1950) 8 (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets $900 (All-In), Hero calls $900

Total pot: $3750

Results:
Hero had K, K (two pair, Kings and eights).
UTG had 9, 9 (full house, nines over eights).
Outcome: UTG won $3747

The villain in this hand was very nitty. Playing like a 15/11 style. I felt pretty sick when he made that smallish raise on the flop but I don't really know if I can just fold there. I mean it's definitely not out of the question against this player bc the only worse hand he might be raising is QQ since I don't even think he is raising AJs here. So I call the flop raise and then the turn completes QT which is one of the few draws that he might raise on the flop. He makes a pretty small bet on the turn once I check and I think at this point I should have realized that he's probably not bluffing, and I don't have great equity against his range even if he is doing this with AJ and QQ a small percentage of the time. Unfortunately in the heat of the moment I was unable to click the fold button and decided to just go call turn, call river to give him the best chance of having a weird bluff in his range.

No-Limit Hold'em, $10.00 BB (5 handed) - Hold'em ManagerConverter Tool fromFlopTurnRiver.com

UTG ($2203.50)
Hero (MP) ($2000)
Button ($3333)
SB ($1152.50)
BB ($1905.65)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 10, J
1 fold, Hero bets $30, Button calls $30, 1 fold, BB calls $20

Flop: ($95) 9, 8, 9 (3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $70, 1 fold, BB calls $70

Turn: ($235) 5 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($235) 7 (2 players)
BB bets $120, Hero raises $550,BB raises $1684.15, Hero folds

Total pot: $1335

Results:
BB didn't show
Outcome: BB won $2593.65

Heres a fairly interesting hand. Villain in this hand normally buys in for $600 at 5/10 so its pretty abnormal to see him with an $1800 stack. He will also probably be a little more protective of his large stack compared to other players. I decided not to bet the turn here because I think that I am going to get called by a ton of hands. On the river I make the nut straight and get led into. My student was sweating me at the time, and I told him that I was going to make a pretty large raise here, because I don't even think this villain will fold a 9 to me and he certainly won't fold a 6. But I wanted to make the large raise here to keep him from shoving on me if he has just a naked 6. I don't want to make a small raise and then level myself into calling him because he might shove with just a 6. So I opted for a larger raise, the villain pretty much insta-shipped his stack in and I died a little bit inside as I clicked the fold button.

The last interesting HH I think is pretty special. My student was pretty confused when he saw what I was doing, but I did my best to explain it to him and I will try to convey my thought process to you all as well.

No-Limit Hold'em, $10.00 BB (5 handed) - Hold'em ManagerConverter Tool fromFlopTurnRiver.com

UTG ($1960)
MP ($2067)
Button ($2586)
SB ($3810)
Hero (BB) ($3141)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 10, Q
2 folds, Button bets $30, SB raises $105, Hero calls $100, 1 fold

Flop: ($250) 7, 10, 4 (2 players)
SB bets $188, Hero calls $188

Turn: ($626) 9 (2 players)
SB bets $466, Hero raises $1375,1 fold

Total pot: $1558

Results:
Hero had 10, Q (one pair, tens).
Outcome: Hero won $2464

Alright, so preflop is somewhat thin I guess. But everyone was deep and the SB was a particularly spazzy individual that I really wanted to play this hand against since we were 300bbs deep. So 2 way to the flop and I flop the toppest pair(wahooo!... but not really) The spazzy SB continuation bets, I call.The turn is a pretty interesting card and certainly helps my range a lot more than it helps the SB's range. I think this is the most important factor in this hand, the fact that my range on this board texture is much stronger than the SB.

To elaborate a little bit on this topic. On this board texture I am saying that my range for raising this turn is much stronger than villains range. Lets say he is 3 betting pre with JJ+, some broadway hands, and some random suited connectors. My range preflop is probably 22-JJ, some suited broadway hands, and some middle suited connectors/1 gappers. My range hits this board much harder than his does. I can have just about every set, however he cannot. I can have a few 2 pair combos(like 97s, T9s) and he can have them too but not nearly as often as I can. So I think most of his range on this turn are 1 pair hands(mostly JJ-AA) and then maybe the random KJ,JQ, AJ type hand.

I was about to click the fold button, since my pair of Ts is pretty worthless, when I got the idea to turn my hand into a bluff. I thought there was a very good chance I could get villain to fold JJ-AA if I raised here and then shoved the river. Not too many villains are going to want to go broke here with JJ-AA this deep. So I used that to my advantage and decided to raise it up on the turn. Doing some calculations villain needs to fold roughly half of the time for this to be break even. And I would venture to say that even if villain's range consisted only of JJ-AA he is folding those hands more than the necessary 50% of the time.

So that's all I got for now. Until next time, good luck at the tables everyone.







No comments:

Post a Comment