Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Another good day and a Honeymoon destination

What's up everyone. Had another good day at the tables after a nice comeback from a pretty terrible first session. I played a session in the early afternoon that went pretty badly, due to some bad play and mostly never making any hands. I was down like $5k at the low point during that session and ended down $3.5k after about 1k hands.

Then my fiance came home from work, so I took a break to eat lunch and we watched some T.V. Her and her sister were going to get messages at 6 PM and she asked if I wanted to go, so I said sure. Unfortunately (or luckily?) for me they didn't have anymore slots available so I got to put in another session.

I loaded up Full Tilt and there were a lot of games going, but they weren't all that great because there were a lot of good players playing. However since my biggest leak is probably game selection, I played anyway. I ran supppppperrrrr hot and made almost $8k in another 1000 hands. Sweet. So I ended the day up around $5.3k in just over 2000 hands.

Here are the most interesting hands I played today...

No-Limit Hold'em, $10.00 BB (5 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (BB) ($2067)
UTG ($1900)
MP ($429)
Button ($2037)
SB ($2308)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, Q
3 folds, SB bets $25, Hero raises $80, SB raises $220, Hero calls $160

Flop: ($500) A, 10, 7 (2 players)
SB bets $250, Hero raises $500, SB calls $250

Turn: ($1500) 6 (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $1317 (All-In), SB calls $1317

River: ($4134) 8 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $4134

Results:
SB had J, J (one pair, Jacks).
Hero had A, Q (one pair, Aces).
Outcome: Hero won $4131

Alright so this first hand is my biggest winning hand of the day and I played it differently than I normally would. Villain in this hand is a super aggressive player that I tangle with quite a bit. It folds to him in the small blind and he makes a standard raise. I re-raise for value with my AQs and he decides to 4 bet me. I'm not super psyched to see him 4 bet here but I'm ok with it since I have a hand that plays pretty well in 4 bet pots and he's very aggressive.

I get a really good flop for my hand and this is where I mix up my play a bit. Villain makes a standard continuation bet and normally I would just call here but I decide to raise. ***About 10 mins before this on another table this same villain re-raised me pf, I called IP, and I raised his continuation bet on a Tc 9c 3h flop and he folded. This should be fresh in his mind***.

So my reason's for raising this particular flop against this villain is that I think he expects me to just call his bet on the flop a lot with my good hands, like if i have pocket Ts or AK/AQ or AT. So when I raise, in his eyes, it looks like I'm bluffing. He probably thinks I have like KQ, QJ, KJ, J9, 89, 68 type hands.

Now since I expect this villain to be a thinking player, and give him credit for taking into account what I am representing rather than just what his 2 cards are, I think this is a good play in this scenario. On the flop I expected to get shoved on quite a bit by his KQ,QJ, KJ type hands that maybe have a gutshot straight draw just because he thinks I am full of it a lot. Sure I'm going to lose to AK, AT, and TT but against this villain I am going to get stacked no matter what by those hands so that doesn't matter. I am trying to maximize my profits against his weaker hands, not minimize my losses when he has a monster hand.

Raise sizing is important here and since it is a 4 bet pot and the board isn't tooo drawy I don't think you need to raise very big at all. I opted for a min-raise because I want to give him room to shove his bluffs and if I raise too big it may seem like I'm never folding which will prevent him from bluffing. I think anywhere from $500-$600 is probably a fine raise size here.

So he goes ahead and calls which I thought was odd. The turn is a 6 completing one of the possible hands I was bluff raising on the flop (89) and we have a little less than a pot sized bet left in our stacks. When he calls the flop I think he has AK, random Ax, maybe Tx, and JJ-KK a lot so I decide to shove on the turn. He thinks for a bit and calls me with JJ and I am a huge favorite to win the huge pot. If I had just called the flop, in all likelihood villain would probably have checked and then called a bet on the turn, then probably checked and folded on the river. However by raising the flop and "representing" a bluff I was able to get his whole stack.

No-Limit Hold'em, $10.00 BB (5 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($2749.25)
BB ($1559.15)
UTG ($3582.50)
Hero (MP) ($2194.25)
Button ($996.50)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 10, J
1 fold, Hero bets $30, 1 fold, SB raises $105, 1 fold, Hero calls $80

Flop: ($230) 9, K, 8 (2 players)
SB bets $170, Hero calls $170

Turn: ($570) 6 (2 players)
SB bets $390, Hero calls $390

River: ($1350) 10 (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $1522.75, 1 fold

Total pot: $1350

Results:
Hero had 10, J (one pair, tens).
Outcome: Hero won $2877.25

Here is another hand that I thought was pretty interesting. I make a standard raise with JTo from the CO and get 3 bet by the SB. This particular villain had been re-raising me quite a bit so I decided to see a flop in position with deep stacks. I get about as good of a flop as I could ask for with my hand and the villain makes a standard continuation bet. I could raise here but I don't think this particular villain is going to give me too much credit since this is the first time I've called one of his re-raises so he might think I'm just getting frustrated if I raise.

The turn misses my straight but it makes the board quite coordinated. Villain bets again and I thought about raising here but stacks weren't great for it so I decided to see another card. I feel like I will be able to take it away/make the best hand on the river for a turn call to be profitable.

The river is a good scare card and villain decides to check. So when he checks here I am 100% sure he doesn't have a flush. And I really don't think he has many 7s in his range so I can rule out most straights. My guess is villain has AK, KQ, KK, or AA a large portion of the time here and I think that I can get him to fold those hands almost all of the time by shoving. I can represent hearts pretty well and I can definitely have a 97s,87s,67s type hand that now has a straight. I decide to go all in for $1500ish into the $1300ish pot and villain thinks for a bit and folds. Good result.

No-Limit Hold'em, $10.00 BB (5 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($707)
Hero (BB) ($2821)
UTG ($1015)
MP ($2103)
Button ($1115)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, A
1 fold, MP bets $35, 2 folds, Hero raises $110, MP calls $85

Flop: ($245) Q, 4, 7 (2 players)
Hero bets $165, MP raises $380, Hero raises $705, MP raises $1603 (All-In), Hero folds

Total pot: $1985

Results:
MP didn't show
Outcome: MP won $3095

Here is some pretty solid spew by me. Villain in this hand is a pretty good regular who also plays higher than this. In my experience he gets pretty frisky in 3 bet pots which is why I decided to do what I did. So he raises preflop and I make a standard reraise with AK.

I dont get a great flop but I think I will be able to win the pot enough of the time with a bet to make it profitable so I bet $165 into $245. However thinking back about how villain doesn't like to give up pots I think c/f'ing here is alright and I would probably do it if I didn't have the A of diamonds. Now when villain raises me here it's pretty strange. Me having the Ad is very important because it makes it so he cannot be raising the Nut Flush Draw. There is only 1 open ended straight draw and that is 56s, and I'm not really sure if he's raising any Qs here. So I would guess as far as value hands go he is probably raising a slowplayed AA/KK(which is discounted because i have AK) maybe AQ or KQ and then a few combinations of 44/77 because he will obviously just call with them some percentage of the time. So that is a pretty narrow range of value hands he could be raising. He's probably also raising quite a few gutshots and random hands so since I have the Ad I decide to make a bluff raise.

To do some math here, I'm risking $540 to win the $790 that is currently in the pot. So I need him to be bluffing me approximately 40% of the time for this to be profitable. Thinking about it now I think its fairly close whether or not 40% of the time he is raising me on this flop he is going to fold if I reraise him. Maybe I will ask some other peoples opinions or you guys can leave me a comment and tell me what you think.

No-Limit Hold'em, $10.00 BB (6 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Button ($3340.50)
SB ($594.55)
BB ($2367)
Hero (UTG) ($3547)
MP ($1178.80)
CO ($3388)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9, J
Hero bets $40, 1 fold, CO calls $40, 3 folds

Flop: ($95) 8, A, 7 (2 players)
Hero bets $70, CO raises $240, Hero raises $580, CO calls $410

Turn: ($1395) 10 (2 players)
Hero bets $1000, CO raises $2696.50, Hero calls $1696.50

River #1: ($3396.50) A (2 players)
River #2: ($3396.50) Q (2 players)
Total pot: $6788

Result #1:
Hero had 9, J (straight, Jack high).
CO had 8, 8 (full house, eights over Aces).
Outcome: CO won $3396.50

Result #2:
Hero had 9, J (straight, Jack high).
CO had 8, 8 (three of a kind eights).
Outcome: CO won $3396.50
Total pot: $6788

I figured I would include this hand as well since it is the biggest pot (when counting by big blinds) that I have ever played. The flop is somewhat interesting I guess. Villain in the hand likes to raise quite a lot of flops when he is in position, even with hands that have no real equity, so I decided to 3 bet. I guess the only thing I will say is make sure you have at least some equity when you do something like this, don't be 3 betting this flop with like QJ or KQ, always leave yourself a little hope. Luckily for me I turn the nuts and we get it all in on the turn.

Fortunately in this hand the villain and I both had the Run It Twice(RIT) box checked. For those that don't know what that means, Full Tilt has a feature now that allows you to deal out 2 boards when players are all in. So if you get it all in on the flop you will see 1 set of turn and river cards and then they will deal another set of turn and river cards. The pot is split in half and whoever wins the first deal gets half the pot and whoever wins the second deal gets the other half. It's a good way to reduce variance especially when you are playing in very aggressive games. So villain and I saw 2 river cards since we got all-in on the turn. Unfortunately for me villain caught an A the first time to give him a full house. The second river card was the Qc and I won the other half of the pot. So not the worst thing in the world but not great, however it's definitely better than losing the entire pot!

Ok so that is enough poker stuff. For those that don't know I am getting married next March(whoop whoop) so we are deep into the planning stages. Yesterday I was looking up a lot of potential honeymoon destination and I think we've settled on one. It's a Sandals resort in St. Lucia called the Grande St. Lucian. It's an all inclusive resort, looks pretty awesome from the website, and got a lot of good reviews everywhere I searched. They have rooms with swim in-swim out access to their huge lagoon so I think that is the room were are going to go with. Should be an awesome time and I can't wait.

Well that's all I got for now. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment