Thursday, November 12, 2009

The blog heater continues

So, another winning day since I've started this blog. I didn't have too long to play today but I did end up making about $2600 in about 800 hands over the hour and 45 minutes I did play. My fiance gets off work early on Wednesdays and Thursdays so I don't play too much poker on those days.

After poker today we went into downtown Atlanta to eat at a potential venue for our rehearsal dinner. The place is called Gordon Biersch and its a brewery/restaurant. They have a private dinning area that can handle around 175 people with a private bar, multiple flat screen tv's, and 3 pool tables. We weren't exactly sure what to expect but when we got there we really liked the atmosphere. So put a check mark to another thing we have knocked off our to-do list for the wedding.

Alright, I guess I will post a couple hands from today's session that were a bit interesting.

No-Limit Hold'em, $10.00 BB (6 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

BB ($500)
UTG ($2000)
MP ($1883)
Hero (CO) ($2007.50)
Button ($1480)
SB ($1744)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, K
UTG bets $40, 1 fold, Hero calls $40, 3 folds

Flop: ($95) J, 9, 3 (2 players)
UTG bets $70, Hero raises $245, UTG calls $175

Turn: ($585) 5 (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $425, UTG calls $425

River: ($1435) K (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero checks

Total pot: $1435

Results:
UTG didn't show
Hero had A, K (one pair, Kings).
Outcome: Hero won $1432

Ok so villain in this hands is a pretty standard regular. He opens first to act so I'm going to be giving him a little more credit, especially since he doesn't raise a lot of hands from the first position. I think this is a fine place to flat AKo.

We completely brick the flop but we do have 2 over cards and a back door straight draw. This is also a pretty decent flop to put a lot of pressure on your opponent. It's just going to be very difficult for them to play out of position with all but their strongest hands. So I decide to make a raise and continue bluffing on scary cards.

The villain calls my raise and we see the 5 of clubs completing the flop flush draw. This is a pretty decent card to continue on as I will be raising most of my flush draws on the flop and it's going to be near impossible for villain to continue if his hand doesn't include a club. So villain checks to me, I fire a pretty large bet and he calls. Once the villain calls again pretty quickly I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do on the river because I get the feeling that he's not going to want to fold, but that hardly ever stops me from emptying the clip.

The river comes the K of spades and villain checks to me again. I decide to check as well and just get to showdown. I don't think villain is going to call me with worse often enough to value bet the river because I will be severely over-repping my hand at this point. And I really don't think I can bet again as a bluff to get him off of AA or anything better than my hand. So I check and get to see that the villain here had AhJs. So he called my turn bet with top pair top kicker without a club which I think is prettttyyyyy bad. His equity against my range is terrible and he's going to have to play a brutal guessing game on a lot of rivers.

No-Limit Hold'em, $10.00 BB (5 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($849.95)
BB ($1056)
UTG ($1939)
Hero (MP) ($2111)
Button ($1596.50)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A, Q
1 fold, Hero bets $30, 2 folds, BB calls $20

Flop: ($65) 3, 6, A (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $40, BB raises $111, Hero calls $71

Turn: ($287) 4 (2 players)
BB bets $199, Hero calls $199

River: ($685) 2 (2 players)
BB bets $560, Hero calls $560

Total pot: $1805

Results:
BB had 5, 4 (straight, six high).
Hero had A, Q (one pair, Aces).
Outcome: BB won $1802

Here is a hand where I make a questionable river call. So I open AQ of clubs and get called by the BB who is a pretty loose aggressive villain. I flop pretty much the nuts and get check raised. I don't really see the need to reraise the flop and try to get it in because I have him so crushed pretty much always and want him to just continue bluffing.

The turn is a brick and he fires again. Again I don't really see the point in raising at all, I still have what I would consider to be a nutted hand and don't want to blow him off something like JT of clubs or QJ of clubs.

The river is the 2 of hearts that brings a backdoor flush. And the villain bets pretty large again. I think its a pretty close decision. I think he can still have some random club hand that thinks since there are now 4 to a straight on the board he can get me to fold AK or AQ if he fires again. I couldn't really see how he shows up with a 5 very often and I don't ever expect him to have a back door flush. On the other hand I just don't think this villain is going to be bluffing often enough for me to profitably call. He can have like A6s, A3s, 66, 45s a decent portion of the time and he has to have a lot of combinations of missed clubs for me to call profitably.

So I think I can pretty safely fold the river. Unfortunately I called because I was upset I was somehow going to lose this hand after flopping the practical nuts and the villain shows me the ol' 54cc for the win. Nice hand.

Well that's all for now. Gotta go watch tonight's episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and then probably play a little Modern Warfare 2 on the 360. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment