Monday, November 30, 2009

Back In ATL, Group Coaching, and the end of November

Sorry for the lack of updates while I was out of town. As expected I played just about no poker. I only played on the flight to VA for about 30 mins where I managed to lose $500 playing some 2/4 PLO. I run so bad on flights, I never win. As for Thanksgiving, it was fun. I saw a ton of people that I don't get to see very often and had a great time.

Everyone seems to be looking forward to my wedding, including me obviously. This month is going to be pretty busy nailing down some details for the wedding, the biggest detail probably being sending out invitations. We went to Michaels last night to buy some calligraphy pens since we are going to be hand writing the addresses ourselves. Kim is really good at it, and I'm pretty sub par so far.

I remember when I did my first golf internship I worked with an assistant pro who was amazing at calligraphy. Our members loved it because he would do these really extravagant leaderboards for all the tournaments and something about seeing their names written in this amazing calligraphy got them really excited. He said that he was offered a job by the White House, writting all of their official documents, but turned it down because he didn't want to sit in a room writting calligraphy for 8 hours a day. So he gave me a few pointers on calligraphy when I worked there but I seem to have lost it since then. I think I'm going to buy a book and really do some practicing this week so Kim isn't stuck having to write all the invitations herself.

In some poker related news I'm about to start up my first group coaching session. Basically the premise behind my group coaching is that everyone in the group(preferably 4 people) will make an hour long video of them playing 4-6 tables of their normal game. The group will then spend 2 hours reviewing and discussing each person's video. It is a great setting to ask me questions as well as to bounce ideas off of other players that are around your skill level. The price for the grouping session is $75/hr paid up front. So a 4 person group will last about 8 hours(in either 1 or 2 hour blocks) and will cost $600. If you are interested let me know, because I have a few people right now who are possibly interested if I can get another full group together. You can leave a comment here, send me a pm on twoplustwo, or email me at hnadcock3@gmail.com if you want to put your name in for the next group.

As for actual poker, I just got done playing a session. It went pretty well and I ended up winning $2600ish in just over 500 hands. The last 10 mins were pretty bumpy but I'm glad it ended well because I hate playing a good session then having a few things go wrong when I'm wrapping up and I find myself down money or barely up for the session.

A little recap of the session, I was up about $1k early then made some mistakes and found myself back around even. Then I'm up about $700 when a regular sits and asks if I want to move to some HU tables and play him for a bit. I decline and stay at my 6 max tables because I was only planning on playing for 30 more mins max, and didn't want to start a HU match. He leaves but comes back about 10 mins later to start up some 6 max tables with me. Then we play this hand.

No-Limit Hold'em, $10.00 BB (2 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (SB) ($2029.50)
BB ($2164.50)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, A
Hero bets $20, BB raises $80, Hero raises $215, BB calls $150

Flop: ($480) 10, K, 4 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $225, BB raises $680, Hero raises $1564.50 (All-In), BB calls $1109.50

Turn: ($4059) J (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: ($4059) 10 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $4059

Results:
Hero had A, A (two pair, Aces and tens).
BB had K, Q (two pair, Kings and tens).
Outcome: Hero won $4058.50

So a somewhat standard hand on my part I guess. I 4 bet for value here this deep, I generally don't slowplay AA here especially against someone who I feel is very aggressive preflop. Also I want to 4 bet AA here because I will be 4 betting as a bluff a decent amount this deep so I want to have a balanced range. I'm not quite sure I like his flop play but I guess it can't be terrible.

So after this hand I'm up like $2400 and I'm only planning to play for 15 more mins or so. Then I lose a few small hands and a 100bb flip with AQs vs TT where the villains TT holds up. Arg ok whatever still up like $1100 and only playing for 10 more mins. Then this hand happens which is against the same player that won the flip with TT against me.

No-Limit Hold'em, $10.00 BB (6 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO ($1022.50)
Button ($1154)
Hero (SB) ($2000)
BB ($1712.50)
UTG ($637.05)
MP ($2790.25)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q, A
3 folds, Button bets $25, Hero raises $105, 1 fold, Button calls $85

Flop: ($230) Q, 9, Q (2 players)
Hero bets $160, Button calls $160

Turn: ($550) 9 (2 players)
Hero bets $300, Button calls $300

River: ($1150) 9 (2 players)
Hero bets $1159, Button calls $582.50

Total pot: $2315

Results:
Button had 9, 10 (four of a kind, nines).
Hero had Q, A (full house, Queens over nines).
Outcome: Button won $2321

Now at this point I'm pretty frustrated at what has just transpired, I'm only up like $100 after playing well for the hour and 15 mins that Ive been playing, and I'm about to stop and go to the gym in 10 mins. I hate this more than anything, and by "this" I mean losing a couple buy ins right before I'm about to stop. This is normally where I'm just like "ughhh, I'm not going to the gym anymore, I'm just gonna grind!" After another 5 mins of spew, where I pretty much never folded to a 3 bet I was down like $500 for the session now. It's a relatively small amount of money but I just hate losing so much. This hand happens about 3 mins before my so-called stop time.

Full Tilt Poker $5/$10 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players
The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

URnotINdanger2 (SB): $1972.00
Hero (BB): $3719.50
splatted (UTG): $1254.50
moi_rhums33 (CO): $2245.00
IHaveAStrong9 (BTN): $2015.00

Pre Flop: ($15.00) Hero is BB with K K
splatted raises to $25, moi_rhums33 raises to $90, 2 folds, Hero raises to $300, 1 fold, moi_rhums33 calls $210

Flop: ($630.00) 5 3 7 (2 players)
Hero requests TIME, Hero bets $440, moi_rhums33 requests TIME, moi_rhums33 raises to $1945 all in, Hero calls $1505

Turn: ($4520.00) J (2 players - 1 is all in)

River: ($4520.00) T (2 players - 1 is all in)

Turn: ($4520.00) 9 (2 players - 1 is all in)

River: ($4520.00) J (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: $4520.00
Hero shows K K (a pair of Kings)
moi_rhums33 shows A K (Ace King high)
Hero wins $2258.00
Hero wins $2258.00
(Rake: $4.00)

This is the first time I've won both pots in a Run It Twice situation where I wasnt an 80/20 favorite preflop. If I had lost both of the pots, there is pretty much no doubt that I would still be grinding :) But luckily for me I won, and decided to give you guys an update before I head to the gym. This may have been the last session of November for me, and if that is in-fact the case then I will be back later to give you guys a graph(gasp), since I've gotten some feedback and people would like to see some graphs. Off to the gym now. Later.




No comments:

Post a Comment