Monday, November 16, 2009

Doh!

Well the streak ends... played pretty poorly today to lose $3k after taking the entire weekend off.

Friday night Kim(my fiance) and I went over to my friend Drew's house to celebrate his 24th birthday. It was a lot of fun until some pretty awkward drama went down. Apparently there were 3 birthday's being celebrated this particular night, at this particular house. The other 2 birthday celebrations were one of my Drew's roomates(he has 3 roomates) and the roomate's girl friend. It should also be noted that not a single person's birthday actually was Friday night, so nobody has "dibs" or what not because it is actually their burthday. Also I guess the other 2 birthday's were more planned out than my friends(the crazy girl friend said they had been planning this for a year... lol?) and they probably had a few more people there. There was about 20 people max, 7 or which were there exclusively for Drew's birthday and the rest were either mutual friends or there for the other 2 birthdays.

So the other 2 birthdays are pretty much hanging out on the porch and in the living room blasting Rock Band. Drew and I decided to roll out the beer pong table in the dining room. After about 45 mins and people from both "parties" playing, Drew and I are still on the table(undefeated baby). We are standing there enjoying ourselves when Drew's roomate comes over and has a few words with Drew. Basically like "dude, why didnt you tell me you were going to have people over too!" and "you guys are taking up too much space!". Mind you were are playing beer pong in a room that pretty much nobody would be "hanging out" in if the beer pong table wasn't there. So I'm standing right next to Drew during this most akward moment trying to figure out what is going on. Then the roomate recomends that Drew and his party leave soon because we are ruining the other parties. Kicking someone out of their own house during his birthday party, pretty classy.

After this, the girlfriends start to get into it. The other girlfriend is acting completely ridiculous and calling all of Drew's girlfriend's friends degrading names which I found hilariously immature. So after this it got pretty awkward so we decided to leave and head to the bars. We had a lot of fun, and other than the 30 mins of drama the party was a success.

Sunday Kim and I went to see Paranormal Activity. It was a pretty good scary movie and had me a little jumpy. I find these movies a little more scary than hack 'em up murder movies or serial killer type movies, just because they seem more realistic for some reason. Either way if you haven't seen it and you like suspenseful scary movies, go see Paranormal Activity.

Alright, so back to today's poker. I was up and down, up and down until a few things went wrong all at the same time and I lost like $4k pretty quickly after being up $1K. I will attribute it to Tri Nguyen and Kings of Cards, who's book "Exploiting Regulars" just came out. I read it and it has a lot of good information in it for people playing 100nl-600nl. Unfortunately all of the "good bluffing" spots I found myself in today failed pretty hard, because everyone had the very top of their range. Not to mention some of them were pretty spewy.

Here is some of the brutality

No-Limit Hold'em, $10.00 BB (5 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Button ($1201.50)
SB ($2017.90)
BB ($600)
UTG ($999.15)
Hero (MP) ($2000)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K, 10
UTG bets $30, Hero calls $30, 2 folds, BB calls $20

Flop: ($95) 9, 9, 5 (3 players)
BB checks, UTG bets $70, Hero calls $70, 1 fold

Turn: ($235) J (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $180, UTG calls $180

River: ($595) 2 (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $1718.50, UTG calls $717.65

Total pot: $2030.30

Results:
UTG had J, K (two pair, Jacks and nines).
Hero had K, 10 (one pair, nines).
Outcome: UTG won $2034.80

Here my flop peel is absurdly loose, especially with the BB still to act. I don't really know what I was thinking looking back but I was in a bluff happy mood and I was pretty sure I would be able to get him off the majority of his UTG opening range by the river.

I pick up a gut shot straight draw on the turn and he checks to me so I bet. He calls and now I think its pretty obvious that he has a 1 pair type hand that I might be able to get to fold on the river.

The river is a pretty gigantic brick, and he checks again. I decide to over shove the river to try and get him to fold his 1 pair type hands, he tanks for a while and finally calls me with KJcc. Super spew by me.

No-Limit Hold'em, $10.00 BB (5 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG ($995)
MP ($1132.50)
Button ($1004.50)
Hero (SB) ($3747.80)
BB ($2099)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, 4
3 folds, Hero bets $35, BB calls $30

Flop: ($80) 5, 8, Q (2 players)
Hero bets $60, BB calls $60

Turn: ($200) 6 (2 players)
Hero bets $150, BB calls $150

River: ($500) K (2 players)
Hero bets $380, BB calls $380

Total pot: $1260

Results:
Hero had A, 4 (high card, Ace).
BB had 8, 9 (one pair, eights).
Outcome: BB won $1264.50

Here is a hand that I thought I played pretty well. Unfortunately the BB in this hand is pretty good and picked me off. So I open A4ss in the SB and he calls from the BB. I get a pretty good flop so I cbet and ge called.

I turn a straight draw to go along with my nut flush draw so I bet again. I'm not sure exactly how often he is going to fold to this turn bet because a lot of his hands are going to have a pair + a straightdraw but I just have soo much equity and I think I can get him to fold a lot of his 1 pair type hands on the river.

The river is a K which is a good scare card. I decide to fire the 3rd barrel expecting him to fold a lot of his 1 pair hands. Unfortunately for me villain realized that the river was a good scare card and made a good call with his pair of 8s. :(


Well that's all I got today. Hopefully I can put in a good session and bounce back tomorrow. I feel like I'm really thinking well about the game right now and am confident in my game. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment