Monday, November 23, 2009

Long Weekend

Hey what's up everyone. Been a bit since I updated but I've been a little busy traveling. Last week I got a call from my dad, saying that he had some extra tickets to Virginia Tech's last home game vs NC State so I decided to head up there with 3 friends from Atlanta. The drive from Atlanta to Blacksburg is about 6 hours so before I left I wanted to get some essentials for playing poker in the car.

I decided to check out the Fry's Electronics near Kim's work. For those that don't know, Best Buy has been my favorite store in the world at least since I was a senior in highschool. It's not like I play a bunch of video games/computer games or anything I just love walking around and checking out all of the new technology. So a couple of week's ago Kim told me about how awesome Fry's was and said I needed to check it out. I hadnt been able to get over to the store yet(since its about 30 mins from my house) so I decided to go last Wednesday.

WOW. This place was amazing. It is atleast twice as big(maybe even 3x as big) as any Best Buy I have ever been in. They're electonics selection boggled my mind. There are so many employees working there in the middle of the day on a Wednesday, you would think it was like Black Friday or something. Kim and I kept trying to guess how many employees were actually working when we were there and on our way out we asked someone near checkout for the real answer. The guys answer was around 75-100 employees and he said that they would have 200 on Black Friday this year. Pretty insane.

So at Fry's I pick up an AC mobile adapter that turns any cigarette lighter into a wall outlet with enough power to keep my laptop running.


So after leaving Fry's the other thing I needed to complete my poker office "car version" was a Verizon Aircard. I currently have an AT&T aircard and the service is not very good. Its quite slow/unreliable and they dont have nearly as much 3G coverage as Verizon has. So I go to the local Verizon store and pick one up.

Now I am all set and ready for a fun, and hopefully profitable weekend.

So after my bounceback day last Tuesday, I decided to take Wednesday off and get everything I needed for this road trip ready. The other thing I got for the roadtrip was a new book called "Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and in the Markets" by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. I didn't make it too far through the book during the roadtrip but so far I like the book a lot. When I finish it I will put up a better review.

So on Thursday we left Atlanta at around 1 PM and headed to Blacksburg. I got about 2-3 hours of poker in during the ride up and ended up losing like $700 at 5/10 including the first time where I lost a Run It Twice hand as the favorite both times....

Full Tilt Poker $5/$10 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players
The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

oldjude (BTN): $2000.00
Tim0thee (SB): $2487.00
Daheim (BB): $1891.00
padirk165 (UTG): $1975.75
Hero (CO): $2234.50

Pre Flop: ($15.00) Hero is CO with K K
1 fold, Hero raises to $30, 1 fold, Tim0thee raises to $120, 1 fold, Hero raises to $340, Tim0thee requests TIME, Tim0thee raises to $2487 all in, Hero calls $1894.50 all in

Flop: ($4479.00) 7 4 8

Turn: ($4479.00) 7

River: ($4479.00) A

Flop: ($4479.00) 9 T 7

Turn: ($4479.00) Q

River: ($4479.00) J

Final Pot: $4479.00
Tim0thee shows A K (a straight, Ace high)
Hero shows K K (a straight, King high)
Tim0thee wins $2237.50
Tim0thee wins $2237.50
(Rake: $4.00)

So the first car pokering session didnt go too well. We got to VT at like 7 PM and headed to a pizza place and then out for the night. The pizza place we ate at had a pretty fun promotion going on Thursday nights. For every large 1 topping pizza you order you get to flip a coin to see if you have to pay for it or not. So since we got 2 pizzas we got to flip a coin for each. We went 1-1 so we only had to pay for 1 of our pizzas which I thought was a pretty fun/interesting promotion.

Friday, I got to play a little poker before I was supposed to give a lesson and ended up losing like $2300 I think, putting me down $3k on the Verizon Aircard. Dang why did I buy this thing?!?! ha.

That night my parents came up and everyone was out on the town pretty late having tons of fun. A lot of my friend's from high school went to VT and quite a few of them came up for the game so there were a lot of people to catch up with.

Saturday morning we woke up and started tailgating around 11 am for the 3:30 game. The weather was surprisingly nice for Blacksburg, VA in late November. Virginia Tech ended up winning 38-10 in what was a cake walk game for them. After the game we went to Outback Steakhouse then out on the town for a little bit before calling it a night due to exhaustion at around midnight.

Sunday we headed back to Atlanta and I got another hour or so of car pokering in. Luckily for me this time I played well and got a lot of good cards. I ended up winning like $4860 bringing my Verizon Aircard total back into the green. So looks like purchasing it worked out. Weeeee.

I did play some interesting hands on Sunday that Ill go ahead and post.

No-Limit Hold'em, $10.00 BB (6 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO ($590.65)
Button ($1417)
SB ($1000)
Hero (BB) ($3047.25)
UTG ($1000)
MP ($1257)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9, 8
4 folds, SB bets $30, Hero calls $25

Flop: ($70) Q, 2, 8 (2 players)
SB bets $60, Hero calls $60

Turn: ($190) 8 (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $145, SB calls $145

River: ($480) 8 (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $2807.25 (All-In), SB calls $760 (All-In)

Total pot: $2000

This hand is against a somewhat regular player. He opens from the SB and I defend with 98o from the BB. I will be defending a ton of hands in this particular spot because I am very confident playing IP against SB steals attempts. So I flop middle pair, he cbets and I call.

I turn gin, and he checks, I decide to bet pretty large and get called. I river quads and I think this is the only interesting part of the hand. He checks to me again and I decide to shove for $760 into a $480 pot rather than make a standard bet of say $400. I make this bet because I think his calling range is pretty inelastic to my betsizing. What I mean by that is that I think that if he is going to call my $400 bet with his hand, he is also going to call a $760 bet. I think on the river he is going to be folding pretty much everything that doesnt have a Q in it. So he's going to fold his missed flushdraws and his pocket pairs lower than a Q no matter if I bet $400 or $760. And he's going to call with all of his Q hands even if I bet $760 rather than $400. So I decide to go for maximum value and I get called by QT.

No-Limit Hold'em, $10.00 BB (4 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($3120)
BB ($1000)
Hero (UTG) ($2010)
Button ($2027.50)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 5, 5
Hero bets $35, Button calls $35, 2 folds

Flop: ($85) 7, 3, 6 (2 players)
Hero checks, Button checks

Turn: ($85) 4 (2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets $60, Hero raises $210, Button calls $150

River: ($505) K (2 players)
Hero bets $480, Button calls $480

Total pot: $1465

Results:
Button didn't show
Hero had 5, 5 (straight, seven high).
Outcome: Hero won $1463


Here is another interesting hand in my opinion. So I raise with pocket 5's and get called by a decent player who has position on me. I get a pretty good flop for me but since we are deep I decide to check. If I bet here I can get raised by a lot of hands that I beat but it's going to be very difficult for me to play the hand. Also if I bet, I'm never really getting called by worse hands so betting doesn't serve much of a purpose. So I check and he checks as well.

I turn a straight and I think a lot of people would bet here but I decided to get tricky and go for a c/r. I think when he see's me check this board twice, he thinks I am giving up just about always and he will take a stab with a lot of his hands. So when I c/r him on the turn he will think I am really full of it and be inclined to call me down pretty light. So I check the turn, he bets, and I make a fairly large c/r that he calls.

The river is pretty much a brick since it doesn't really change the board at all. I decide to bet pretty large to represent a bluff, maybe I have missed spades or just some other random hand that decided to spazz out. I get called pretty quickly by villains pocket 3s for 333 and I win the pot.

It's somewhat interesting to me that he checked back the flop but I understand what his thought process was. As I said earlier when I check this board twice(or even when I check the flop here) villain probably thinks I am going to be checking to fold a lot. So since he flopped a monster he decided to give me a free turn card where I will hopefully make a pair and he will make a little more money. So when I c/r him on the turn he's probably thinking I have a lot of random air in my range so he calls me down quickly on the turn and river.

Alright well that's all I got for now. Sorry for the long post. I will try to update a little more regularly but I was just pretty busy for the last few days. Time to grind. Later.

7 comments:

  1. Hand 1... sick

    Hand 2... Zeebo Theorem alive and well!

    Hand 3 is really interesting I think. I understand the reasoning for the flop check. I'm curious, how often would flop be a c/c vs a c/f? Obv very villain dependent... surely a ton of villains will think about betting any two if the PFR checks flop like that OOP. Depending on how aggro he is he could easily be betting worse, but with only 6 outs I'd think c/c'ing down OOP is marginal. Plus RIO, all 6 of our outs are potentially dirty. Better straights are in his BTN range.

    So was flop in fact a c/f? C/c flop, c/f bricked turn seems weak.

    Nice to hit on the turn though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey TJ,
    I was planning on c/c the flop and seeing what happens. C/f flop is way too weak with a pair + gutter against his button calling range and I dont like betting because I dont know enough about him. The turn I would have decided on what card peeled off. You're right it will be tough against people that fire 2 but you would be surprised at how many just fire the flop and shutdown if called.

    Also my RIO's arent too great because its not like im going nuts if i hit a 5 and since i dont think hes playing 58 a 4 will pretty much never put me in a dominated situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I guess I should have mentioned that I am most likely calling 2 streets here. Not many are firing 3 as a bluff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok that makes sense.

    Are you also from Atlanta?

    I moved to Cary, North Carolina last year but I'm from Decatur. I went to St. Pius for high school, class of '03, and UGA briefly... before I had a little too much fun there and had to leave, haha

    I play uNL and SSNL, I really like your blog! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea, I moved to the Atlanta area(Marietta/Roswell) a little over a year ago. Thanks for the support, glad you like the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice blog, subscribed. Hope you keep writing.

    FBR's a great book but anyone who's deep into poker and internet poker culture and has seen so many people fooled by short-term reults probably won't find it too mind-blowing. Fun read though.

    In the 55-hand, what do you think about calling the turn and going for a CR on most rivers? It seems like good villains range should be constructed of 5x and some air that didn't he didn't want to bet the flop with, and not many hands that turn into bluff catchers when facing cr.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Mikidi,
    Thanks for reading. Yea I agree what FBR won't be too mind-blowing for me but it is an interesting read nonetheless. I read Blink and Outliers by Malcom Gladwell recently and this book seems to be right up there with them. These types of books are really interesting to me.

    As for the 55 hands, check/calling the turn and then c/r'ing the river is ok, but I don't think its quite as profitable as c/r'ing the turn and betting the river. The problem is I'm not sure how often he is going to bet the turn and river as a bluff. So he might just bet the turn and give up on the river. So by c/r'ing im not missing out on value from his bluffs since he probably won't bluff the river with them. And I gain a lot of value from fd's and bluffcatchers.

    ReplyDelete